The Jim Brass Forum

The forum has been revived! Please sign up again!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paul's TV & Movies
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:42 am 

I can't imagine PG could be bad in anything. Me too, hoping he gets picked up for the long haul with this show. Can you imagine, all those people not watching CSI now tuning into this show every week? hope he gets compensated accordingly. It would be bound to be a hit.
GMW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:43 am 

I'm so glad that he's tweeting! But, that's another thread...

I've been scouring the web looking for more info on this show, but nothing yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:43 am 

I just realized that it may be like the secret agent show he performed in fourteen or so years ago, where he played the head of the organization Mandy Castelow(?sp) was in. While that one was cheeky, it would be a pity if they chose to cast him in this Stanistan as a similar character. He has so much more going for him ! Oh, well, will have to see.

Last edited by GMW on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:05 am 

While "Secret Agent Man" was so awful that Paul never mentions it (he always refers to CSI as his first series TV), I kind of liked his Brubeck character. He was snarky but definitely in a cheeky sort of way.

One more notable thing about this show is that Dina Meyer was also in it. She played the rogue cop that Brass fooled around with in "The List".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:07 pm 

I love Brubeck in "Secret Agent Man"! There is one scene where he is in a conference call with the other agency heads and he is fighting their decision. He says no in about five different languages and it's so cool! I can't remember which epi, but it's early on. He also speaks French a lot which is cool.

Quite often, I will watch a scene from "Tempesta" where he speaks in Italian. Be still my beating heart! It rolls off of his tongue and I just melt!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 am 

What's filming in Toronto. Any guess as to which PG may be shooting?

http://www1.toronto.ca/static_files/economic_development_and_culture/docs/currently_filming.pdf

Some definate possibilities here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:56 am 

My vote is for Biker Gangland! Pull out that pic of Paul on a motorcycle!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:30 am 

According to IMDb, Paul has been a busy boy:

Viral (pre-production)
Doctor Greer

Spotlight (post-production)
Peter Conley
- The true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.

Stanistan (TV Movie) (post-production)
Ambassador Matthews

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:55 pm 

Wow, B! wonderful to hear, we may actually see some of these on tv, at least in the spring....don't know how I missed most of this at them time, but was glad to see that action was finally taken on the crimes committed.
Went to look these productions up on ImDb, and found info on Spotlight and Monsignor Conley on these sites.
We all know that sometimes whether an actor plays a good guy or a bad guy is a crapshoot, but here I think PG won the lottery. M. Conley seems to be one of the really good guys out there. I think he's dead now, he was in his seventies when this scandal broke.
Sounds like a really good role for PG, imho. You know, David bucking Goliath (church? public opinion?)

On M. Conley himself:
http://cache.boston.com/globe/spotlight/abuse/stories4/122502_mcnamara.htm
Eileen McNamara
The spirit of Christmas
12/25/2002
His answer should be at the rectory door this morning on steel runners, sporting a red velvet bow.
His question -- "What will they think of us?" -- has plagued Monsignor Peter V. Conley throughout this long and difficult year. The former executive editor of The Pilot first asked it aloud last spring when the Boston archdiocese was reeling with news of crimes by priests and coverups by bishops. He posed it again this month as fresh documentation of the evil done to children prompted him to ponder the impact of the crisis in the Catholic Church on young people coming of age in a time of scandal.
It is too soon to know how an entire generation will respond to revelations that Conley has called "demoralizing, dispiriting, and disheartening," but this Christmas morning hope was being delivered to the monsignor's front door wrapped in red ribbon.
Priests, like politicians, make an individual impression that often counters their momentary collective reputation. When Bing Crosby's Father O'Malley personified a parish priest, the poor fellow in the rectory down the block could only suffer by comparison, in much the way that the local congressman could never measure up to Jimmy Stewart's Mr. Smith in Washington. When a popular cultural image shifts so suddenly from respect to revulsion, it is disorienting as well as demoralizing. Conley tells of a priest who was shaken to be called a pedophile by a driver shouting through an open window.
What will they think of us? Indeed.
What some young Catholics at St. Jude's Parish in Norfolk think of Monsignor Conley will be wearing a tag this morning that reads "To Peter, From Santa." Conley has been their pastor through good times and bad -- and, it turns out, they have paid as much attention to his sermons as they have to newspaper headlines. For the second Advent in a row, Conley shared a childhood experience to spare his parishioners needless disappointment in a season that sometimes seems as much about giddy greed as genuine gift giving. As a boy, growing up in a Readville, Conley dreamed of the Flexible Flyer that would appear under the Christmas tree in answer to his prayers. He had asked before, but one year that sled would surely materialize between the wool socks and the hand-knit mittens with a tag that read "To Peter, From Santa."
One December, in the predawn light of a Christmas morning, there it was -- the sled whose color and contours he had memorized from the dog-eared pages of an old Sears Roebuck catalog. It was a Flexible Flyer. With a tag that read, "To Ned, From Santa."
On his brother's face, young Peter Conley saw the thrill that should have been his own. He occupied himself in silence with the orange he had retrieved from the foot of his Christmas stocking. At the end of a long winter afternoon, coasting down a neighborhood hill on the sled that Ned had been happy to share, the thrill was no less his. Ownership is overrated, concluded the boy who would one day be a priest.
Overrated, maybe, but an experience worth having, however belatedly, thought a few young parishioners. Monsignor Conley had had enough disappointments this year. His role at The Pilot had ended abruptly after he wrote an editorial suggesting it might be time to at least discuss priestly celibacy, a view Cardinal Bernard F. Law immediately disavowed. Surgery and treatments that continue this winter had interrupted a full return to parish life. If a Flexible Flyer would not make everything right, it would let one priest know exactly what the next generation thinks of him.
It was not an easy quest. But, what the hardware store once was to Christmas shopping, e-Bay is now. A few clicks of a mouse located a sled no longer manufactured. Under the cover of night, with Christmas snow in the forecast, the Secret Santas were leaving a boy his sled and a priest the promise of a doorstep and a future that can yield not just bold, black headlines but also bright, red bows.
Eileen McNamara is a Globe columnist. She can be reached at mcnamara@globe.com.
This story ran on page B1 of the Boston Globe on 12/25/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.

the larger picture as M. Conley saw it....
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/top/features/documents/02187944.htm (the whole article)
PERHAPS CARDINAL LAW’S most thoughtful defender is Monsignor Peter Conley, executive editor of the archdiocesan newspaper, the Pilot, and pastor of St. Jude’s Church in Norfolk.
Conley certainly doesn’t defend every action Law has taken. In particular, he criticizes the hierarchy for dealing with the pedophilia crisis in legalistic terms, rather than by being open and honest with Catholics. "Usually both sides prefer silence, and get it from the courts," Conley says. "With access to court records, and of course the Geoghan thing, that shifted it to the court of public opinion. You cannot have silence in the court of public opinion. And that transition — from silence to information for the people — has been handled terribly."
Nor does Conley criticize the media’s coverage of the pedophile scandal, although he does think that it "may have been disproportionate."
Rather, Conley urges people to look at Law as someone who’s trying to do the right thing in a difficult position — as someone who inherited problems from his predecessors (indeed, some of Geoghan’s misconduct took place before Law’s 1984 arrival in Boston), who genuinely believed at one time that pedophiles could be successfully treated, and who finally took steps to have Geoghan defrocked — or "laicized," as the process of removing someone from the priesthood is technically known.
"It all collapsed on Law’s desk," Conley says. As for whether Law will resign, Conley predicts that’s not going to happen. "He personally thought about it last fall, I know that," he says. "But the priests, behind all their anger, want him to stay and fix it. Because, first of all, we know he’s capable. If you brought somebody in new it would take him six months to hit the road. He loves the Church more than he loves the position that he’s been called to serve in the Church."
THE ONE THING that’s clear is that the media’s relentless attention to the pedophile-priest crisis — and to the hierarchy’s attempts to cover it up — will change the Church in ways that can’t be predicted.
"I think that eventually the anger and the frustration will subside, but it will take a generation for us to recover the trust that the people have," says Monsignor Conley, executive editor of the Pilot. "There will always be that suspicion that will linger, at least for a generation."
Will the media scrutiny lead to permanent changes in the Church? Conley’s answer points to the dilemma of a powerful institution that has historically been secretive and closed to change. "I would hope so," he told me, adding that Vatican II called for "due respect for public opinion." But then he added, "We cannot be ruled by the whims of public opinion, because we know how fluid they are."
Issue Date: March 7 - 14, 2002

from ImDB (see B's post above)
Spotlight (2015)
Director: Thomas McCarthy
Writers: Thomas McCarthy (screenplay), Josh Singer (screenplay)
Stars: Rachel McAdams, Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton
full cast listed here : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895587/

One thing, I don't think the movie listed as Viral (Butterfly Caught) is the one being filmed in Canada, it's about three hollywood wannabe actresses. So, what's going on in Toronto, besides hockey?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:38 am 

I had no doubt that the Amazing Ninja Master Actor would be busy after leaving CSI. And everything he is doing sounds intriguing. I do hope we get to see some of it on tv soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next