[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
The Jim Brass Forum • View topic - Searching for items PG has authored

The Jim Brass Forum

The forum has been revived! Please sign up again!
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Searching for items PG has authored
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:08 am 

found this on the Google books, it's not authored by him, but does include two of his favorite poems and reasons why he chose these two in particular. Also pleasant b&w pic.
I have been trying to find articles or books, or poems he may have written, things are slim on the ground, so got a little excited when I found this.

Go here

The Poem I Turn To: Actors and Directors Present Poetry That Inspires Them
edited by Jason Shinder, Michael O'Keefe, Lili Taylor; pg 67=75

other actors and directors are included, and have some interesting points to make.
GMW

Edited by moderator: Fixed the coding for the link.

Post subject: Re: Searching for items PG has authored
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:26 pm 

Quote:
The Poem I Turn To: Actors and Directors Present Poetry That Inspires Them
edited by Jason Shinder, Michael O'Keefe, Lili Taylor; pg 67=75

I'm pretty sure I previously posted something about this in another thread but if you can find the book, it comes with a CD that has Paul reading both of his favorite poems. I was able to save these to my iTunes library, along with several radio interviews Paul did, so that I have a Paul Playlist.

Also, when he says he wrote a poem, I think what he's referring to is this:
Paul Guilfoyle from The Poem I Turn To: Actors and Directors Present Poetry That Inspires Them wrote:
...any sections of Virgil's Aeneid, the travels especially with Charon the boatman, the Dido relationship, and any part of the large epic poem that expresses the need to journey, the courage to face the unknown, along. Homer's Iliad and Odyssey are similar. I worked on these poems in Latin and Greek for six years. I worked on and published a translation of Horace's An Ode To Phyrrus.

My very favorite part of what he writes about his favorite poems though is this:
Paul Guilfoyle from The Poem I Turn To: Actors and Directors Present Poetry That Inspires Them wrote:
As a schoolboy, I used to recite Marviell's TO HIS COY MISTRESS to girls in the hope of getting laid, but found out all the educated boys of my world (and there were many baby boomer youth) were doing the same, and I fell into cliche.

I love getting a glimpse into PG, the adolescent boy, and I can just picture him going around trying to woo the girls with poetry.

Post subject: Re: Searching for items PG has authored
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:26 pm 

I could see him working the docks inbetween jobs, too. It certainly explains those well defined muscular arms! Legs, too, I imagine, it can't all be hockey. And it would provide an income inbetween acting jobs to pay rent, etc.

I would love to hear him recite the first poem, though, as he discusses it and the idea of work so feelingly. (Authentically?) But it's not at my library, and if I get it through interlibrary loan I wonder if I would get the CD too.

I don't know re the poems translated from Greek and Latin~ I am sure he did that, but I think he must have written some as well, he describes himself as a published poet at some point in an interview, and that usually refers to self-authored material, not translated material. At least in common usage.
We have the article he wrote thanks to you, wasn't it? and the book mention he wrote, maybe we can unearth some of his other works.

Ah, well.
Dreaming on.
GMW