The Jim Brass Forum

The forum has been revived! Please sign up again!
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Jim's Exit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:27 pm 

A version of this question was asked on another forum but I thought it should be posed here. Plus, I added a second question.

How would you like to see Brass leave?

How do you think it will play out on screen? This will require you to think like one of the show's writers so I apologize in advance for making you have to dumb down your response.

Post subject: Re: Jim's Exit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 am 

This is a tough one since I don't want him to leave.

Can't think of a scenario that makes real sense. With everything that happened to the character, all he has left is being a cop. But I hope he leave with dignity and his integrity in tact. And of course, with style ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:00 am 

My heart is sore from the thought of his leaving the show. I am so upset about this, it's hard to think of him as simply a character in a show. Why is that? What makes him such an iconic figure? Why is he so important to us as a human being?
GMW

Attachments:
70.jpg
70.jpg [ 25.47 KiB | Viewed 10967 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:11 am 

Because he is an actor in the truest sense -- he works because he doesn't want the fame and all of the trappings -- he works because he can't do anything else. It's an art form to him, not a job, or a way to fulfill a big ego.

These are all the things I tell high schoolers when they ask about careers in music. You gotta do it because you love it, not because it will make you famous. Because you are fulfilled by the work, not the results of the work (having your ego fulfilled by others telling you how great you are).

That's why I think he's the best. That, and the fact that he's a handsome guy with one sexy voice.

I agree with GMW in that his leaving really leaves me bereft. The only way they could save this is if he gets to move onto the CSI spinoff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:29 pm 

Spot on Annie! I remember an interview he did ages ago where he said he hadn't wanted to do tv and avoided it for along time because it is more techincal and he sees acting as art. He said he took the CSI job because it was the most interesting of three (I think) offers he had at the time and he wanted something steady since his daughter was on the way. He explained that while they don't really do that much that is original when filming, it was original for tv. He thought they approached it more like a movie than the usual tv approach. So not only was the story line the most interesting but it felt more artistic to him.

I don't want to see him in the spin-off. First place, I don't think it will do very well unless they have a really new angle. Secondly, I'd like to see him doing some different things. He's got so much talent and I'd love to see him use it in some different ways. I just hope that something does pop up for tv that fits all that 'cause I don't get to NYC often to see him in a play and I don't even really go to the movies much anymore.

But like everybody else, I am heartbroken that Jim Brass won't be a part of my Wednesday nights anymore. I suffer every summer because I get hungry for some new Brassness. To think after May 7 there will never be any new Brassness is just...unthinkable. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 pm 

Actually, I agree with you, SH. Jim Brass in any other CSI sense won't make it for me, either. I just wondered about his silence since the announcement. Moving to he spinoff might be a possibility for no response. But, B has already explained that to me in another thread. ;)

I bet there have been reporters who have tried to get an interview. Would he be that loyal to CBS?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:47 am 

annie45601 wrote:
Because he is an actor in the truest sense -- he works because he doesn't want the fame and all of the trappings -- he works because he can't do anything else. It's an art form to him, not a job, or a way to fulfill a big ego.
Very well said, annie! I've always loved that he is an actor's actor. One of my other most favorite actors was a lot like PG in that he was also was an actor first and foremost. He did not like the spotlight at all and oftentimes he took lesser roles because he thought the character was much more interesting and challenging. Sounds a lot like PG, n'est pas?

spottedhorse wrote:
I don't want to see him in the spin-off. First place, I don't think it will do very well unless they have a really new angle. Secondly, I'd like to see him doing some different things. He's got so much talent and I'd love to see him use it in some different ways. I just hope that something does pop up for tv that fits all that 'cause I don't get to NYC often to see him in a play and I don't even really go to the movies much anymore.

One thing I can see PG try to do after CSI is shed Brass. That means doing roles that are as far to the extreme as possible. I'd like to see that. I'd also like to see him do some theatre in NYC because I'm just a train ride away and I expect that he is absolutely amazing on the stage. SH, if that happens, I'll send you a program. :D But I do agree that I'd like to see him back on TV regularly. And I'd like him to be on a show that appreciates him again.

I have such mixed emotions about him not being on CSI any more. I'm incredibly sad because as GMW said, Jim Brass is such an iconic character and not having him on the show any more means I'm losing such a significant part of my life. I was invested in the character and the show and after May 7th, both will be gone. No way will I ever watch CSI without Brass. I hope a whole lot of others feel the same way. However, since probably season 10, I've been very unhappy with what they've done with the character. They tossed him into the subplot basement then forgot how he used to interact with the team. They made him a complete outsider and limited his screentime to maybe 5 minutes if he was lucky. I blame the writers almost as much as the producers because they are the idiots who couldn't figure out what to do with Brass. I just wish this was Paul's decision to leave and not a couple of someone's giving him the boot.

In one of the UK interviews not too many years ago, Paul said that he had thought about leaving after S10. I wish now he would have. Yes, I'd be terribly, terribly sad but Brass wouldn't have been relegated to the back burner and made to be a shell of his former self. Paul could have gone on to another series or done movies. Now, not so sure where he'll land.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:39 pm 

One good thing about being a great character actor is that there are always going to be roles. Some will be bigger than others but age and looks don't matter as much as delivering the character and we know Paul can deliver ;) . Pretty boys, and I put WP in that category, do tend to fade as they age because they aren't quite as pretty anymore and there aren't many older actors who can pull off pretty boy. Face it, WP is no Cary Grant :lol:

I do hope he gets to do some plays because for actors like him, that is what nourishes them. But I'm sorry B, a program is a poor substitute for the warm cuddly real live man.

I'd love to see him shed Brass too. I could even see him in a comedy, if it was the right one. In my dreams I see him doing a character in the last season of Doc Martin. He'd be an American tourist spending the season in the village (maybe a writer or something that's there to hideawy and work) and matching Doc Martin snark for snark, :lol: I think it would be brilliant. He could wear comfy clothes (his crumpled shirts and jeans) as a foil for Martin's Saville Row suits. Paul likes England and he'd be surrounded by some wonderful actors. But that's just my pipe dream.

In his next tv series, I don't want him to be a cop. I'm with you B, something very different.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:12 pm 

You know? From the total lack of press,I think PG has not been asked to reprise JB, I mean, shouldn't we have heard about negotiations ongoing by now?
G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:16 am 

I have been wondering on that very same thing, not a word on JB, I am thoroughly disgusted and very disapointed