[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead
The Jim Brass Forum • View topic - Brass's role

The Jim Brass Forum

The forum has been revived! Please sign up again!
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:59 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brass's role
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 pm 

I LOVE this article! Hopefully t he writers and PTB read it and get it.

My fav paragraph is:

The joke, I think, is that none of the above-mentioned guys are anywhere close to the withered heart of this show—and neither are Catherine Willows or any of the non-supervisory CSIs, the wise-ass techs, the coroner bros. No, that honor goes to the character of Captain Detective Jim Brass, portrayed by Paul Guilfoyle. Brass, of course, is almost obscenely archetypical as cop personalities go: fuck-up kid, drinking problem, military service, questionable arrests, wisecracks out the ass. He’s the show’s edge, gallows-humored exposition, and its on-screen stand-in for an audience for whom advanced chemistry doesn’t have much application in everyday life.

And of course, "I love the way Guilfoyle plays Brass: burnt out and beat down but effectively unbowed, hollow-eyed but bemused, awkward in suits. He’s the little guy, you know? The everyman.

I've always seen Brass that way; the everyman in the show... just a regular kind of guy who puts himself out there everyday in heroic ways, smart but not brilliant, strong but beat up, cynical but still hopeful.

Thanks for sharing :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:38 am 

And all Brassfans say "Amen" to that! Now give him a storyline arc that Paul can REALLY sink his teeth into! After watching Brain Doe again tonight, I thought a lot about how he describes his work now on the show as that of a cobbler, making a shoe. Everything that is said in that article about Brass is exactly what Paul has down to a science in his small actions (his words). Maybe it's time he gets to make a boot and I mean a knee high one, people! Let's pass this along to our Twitter friends!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:31 am 

Since many of you lurk and never login, I'd like to draw your attention to a thread that's hidden unless you login. It's called "Pillow Talk" and Annie45601 has started a thread called "Forty Days of Brassness". Check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:33 am 

Thanks! It's day 39, people! Time to share what makes him soooooo sweet to you! 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:20 am 

I got to review the season ender for season 13, and have to say PG really does do well with the 'small moments'. He is so classy, that guy! was thinking too about the amount of air time his character Brass gets, and someone listed about 9 minutes average, which, when you consider the whole show is only 47 minutes or so, is actually none so bad. We could all see more, though! I too think the show is about Jim Brass!

I totally agree with the protest against turning the CSI's into cops, though, although I can see why they may have to carry weapons, to have them actually work with an officer when checking out the scene, as Jorja and George did in FEARLESS, is beyond the pale, in my humble opinion. They needed to go to do the forensics, but there should have been at least two uniforms with them to check out the scene. Makes me wonder at the budget of the show, are they getting cuts due to costs? Is that why PG and others are getting cut to the nub?

GMW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 pm 

Paul has said in some interviews thast he thought the change to him appearing in fewer episodes was due to budget cuts. The show is older and salaries are higher for everyone so it would makes sense not to have everyone in every episode.

I am hoping the writers get their act together and give PG some great moments this seson because I have a feeling it is the last for CSI. The newness has worn off and other shows are imitating them like crazy. George is in the doghouse and if he goes that would only leave Paul as the remianing actor that was there on day one and stayed all the way through the run. Jorja took her time out and then has had limited episodes since her return. Eric's character, Greg, isn't the whacky crazy fun guy anymore as the series has gotten darker. And the characters of DB and FInn just haven't caught on like Grissom and Catherine. Although Danson is much better than Fishbait was in for the show.

It is always intriguing to see what's being written over in fanficland. GSR is still a frontrunner. People miss that I guess. You see a few stories with DB and almost nothing for Finn. Sofia gets more stories than Finn, I think. So it seems the series has had it's day and is now in decline. Hopefully, Brass (PG) gets to go out in style!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 pm 

I know all of them were signed to a new two year contract early on this summer. You really think it might be the last year? I have been thinking this, but mainly due to the 'cheapness' of script material for ALL the characters, not just Brass, or Stokes and Sidle.
Doc Robbins is the only one with consistently great lines anymore. I don't think they are handling ANY of the characters as well as they could be doing, either. I can see why Eads might want to leave, but can't see the fuss over the fact that the writer was pregnant. i mean, seriously?

I don't mind the new Greg Saunders much, i sort of think he 'absorbed' Grissom, to the point where he has adopted that wonderful out of kilter response to situations Grissom used to exhibit,specifically "Unfriendly Skies" the first year, and the "Locomotives
episode shown incapsulated in Funny Brass Moments over on Youtube.

GMW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 am 

The newbies, TD, ES, and EH, are signed on for more than one year, I believe. PG, GE, JF and EricS are year to year. And who knows if it's a full year. They could have PG under contract for half a year, like they did with Marg. If GE doesn't come back, they could still have him under contract and not allow him to appear on anything else until his contract year is up.

I get that Paul's going to be missing some episodes. The thing that ticks me off is that the episodes he is in, he rarely gets to do anything. He gets five minutes of screen time and Ecklie, the Sheriff/Undersheriff/whatever, or Mitch have bigger cop roles than Brass. It's not like Ecklie was ever a popular character and Mitch was always just a uni in the background so I don't get that at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:58 pm 

Really? PG didn't get a two year contract as well? The article was rather misleading then. Oh, well. The kind of show it is means that politics with the studio has to come first, durnit, rather than good television.
GMW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:58 am 

I don't think Paul has ever had a two year contract :lol: Those idiot PTB never have recognized the best thing they have going...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next